Iowa Native Plant Society Previously Funded Small Grants
- Tammy Wright, Bur Oak Land Trust (Iowa City, IA), $1,000, "Tool Kits for Bur Oak Land Trust Volunteer Work Crews"
- Michael Cimprich, City of Marion Parks Dept., $1,000, " Faulkes Heritage Woods Invasive Restoration"
- Penny Perkins, F.T.F. Restoration (Granger, IA), $500, "Using Goats for Ecological Rehabilitation for Invasive Species Management and Replacement of Historical Regimes"
- Jean Eells, E Resources Group (Webster City, IA), $500, "Iowa's Native Plant Leaders"
- Victoria Pocius, ISU, $500, "Oviposition Preference and Larval Survival of the Monarch Butterfly, Danaus plexippus , on Eight Species of Native Milkweeds"
- Emily Zimmerman, ISU, $500, "Does Diversity Matter? Evaluating the Relationship between Native Prairie Plant Species Diversity on Nitrogen Retention"
- Veronica Mecko, Southern Iowa Oak Savanna Alliance, $250, "Burn Workshop at Springer Woods"
- Dawn Snyder, Woodbury County Conservation Board, $994, "Woodbury County Conservation Board Prairie Rescue and Safety Equipment"
- Jean Wiedenheft, Indian Creek Nature Center (Cedar Rapids), $1250, "Bena Brook Woodland Restoration"
- Amy Yoakum, Story County Conservation Board, $1170, "Dakins Lake Restoration Project"
- Christine Kaldenberg, Willowwind School, Iowa City, $250, "Community Awareness of Native Plantings"
- Lee Goldsmith, Brenton Arboretum, $1000, "Natives for Stormwater Management"
- Nick Stoynoff, independent taxonomist, $500, "Digitization of the Putnam Museum Herbarium: Another Step towards a Complete Inventory of the Specimens in Iowa's Small Herbaria"
- Philip Bice and Aubrie James, ISU - Dept of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, $500, "Plant Inventory of the Vascular Plants of Anderson Prairie State Preserve"
- Marlene Ehresman, Iowa Wildlife Center, $500, "Bioblitzes to Assess Natural Features of the Iowa Wildlife Center Property"
- Jennifer Anderson-Cruz, ISU - Dept of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology, $500, "Evaluation of the Effect of Various Prairie Restoration Planting Methods on the Development of a Diverse Sedge Meadow Community"
- Casey Koht and Pete Kollasch, Friends of Rochester Cemetery, $500, "Funding for Prescribed Fire in Sections of Rochester Cemetery"
NOTE: The grant for prescribed fire in Rochester Cemetery was extended for two additional burns in honor of Professor Diana Horton, long-time friend and member of INPS, who has been a passionate defender of native plants in many ways throughout her life.
- Peter Eyheralde, ISU - Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, $500, "Role of Bison in a Tallgrass Prairie Reconstruction: Seed Dispersal and Small-scale Disturbance"
- Diane Debinski, ISU - Dept of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology, $500, "Effects of fire and grazing on reintroduction of prairie violet (Viola pedatifida) to Iowa grasslands"
- Elizabeth Bach, ISU - Dept of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology, $500, "Effects of diversity on the prairie experience"
- Tony Jelsma, Dordt College - Department of Biology, $500, "Genetic Diversity of butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) in Iowa native prairies"
- Craig Hemsath, Union High School (LaPorte City, IA), $250, "Exploration, Identification, and Recording of the Flora of Southeast Black Hawk County and Adjacent Areas by Union High School Students"
- Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, $1250, "Story County Prairie Acquisition and Stewardship"
- Chris Anderson, Woodbury County Conservation Board, $644, "Woodbury County Conservation Board Prairie Rescue Equipment"
- Craig Hemsath, UNI, $500, "Enhancement of a Recovering Native Prairie"
- Kathryn Yurkonis, ISU, $500, "Prairie Plant Distributions and their Consequences for Diversity and Exotic Species Invasion"
- Lars Brudvig, ISU, $500, "Effect of Restoration on Oak Savanna Biodiversity, Structure, and Oak Regeneration."
- Glenn Pollock, Independent, $1,020, "Vincent Bluff Savanna Restoration."
2005 (first year grants were awarded):
- Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, $1,250, "Marietta Expansion and Buffer: A Marshall County Sand Prairie and Fen Acquisition and Restoration Project."
- Amy Carolan, UNI, $500, "Enhancement of a Recovering Native Prairie"
- Renae Schmitt, ISU, $497, "The Effects of Nitrogen on the Competitive Ability and Establishment of Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) versus Native Herbaceous Plants."